Piers Morgan CNN chat show axed

Monday February 24, 2014

CNN has cancelled Piers Morgan Live after three years on air.

Piers told The New York Times it had been a "painful period" for the show, which has suffered lacklustre ratings.

He said that he and CNN president Jeffrey Zucker decided to axe the programme as it failed to connect with its audience.

"Look, I am a British guy debating American cultural issues, including guns, which has been very polarising, and there is no doubt that there are many in the audience who are tired of me banging on about it," he said.

The 48-year-old is expected to stay on with the news channel in another capacity, however.

"Jeff and I have been talking for some time about different ways of using me," the former Mirror editor added.

"I think I can credibly do news and the ratings reflect that, but it is not really the show I set out to do.

"There are all kinds of people who can do news here.

"I'd like to do work – interviews with big celebrities and powerful people – that is suited to what I do well and fit with what Jeff is trying to do with the network."

Piers took over from veteran Larry King three years ago. His show is said to have struggled in the ratings with initial audiences of two million falling to around 270,000.

  • <
  • Piers Morgan CNN chat show axed

  • >
  • 2 of 2