Her former producer Mark Ronson said: "She was my musical soulmate and like a sister to me. This is one of the saddest days of my life."
Millions of people around the world shared his pain on hearing of the death of Back to Black diva Amy Winehouse on Saturday.
With police still investigating the cause of her passing, floral tributes were left by fans outside her home in Camden, North London. As the news filtered out an estimated 20 million twitter users were also expressing their shock.
And the tributes continued to pour in from the celebrity world.
Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood dedicated his Saturday night show on Absolute Radio to her.
He said: "It's a very sad loss of a very good friend I spent many great times with."
"She was a lovely and intelligent person and when we recorded together she gave a soulful and extraordinary performance," said legendary crooner Tony Bennett, who praised her "rare intuition as a vocalist".
Amy recorded with him for Duets 2 an album to be released in August to mark his 85th birthday.
Amid the tributes for her luminous talent, there was also grief about a life soured by drug and alcohol abuse.
Another colleague Professor Green begged people not to blame Amy. "Addiction is a terrible demon," he tweeted.
Those closest to her knew that only too well. Her father Mitch (below), a taxi driver who fired her love of jazz by playing her the greats from a young age, shepherded her into rehab many times.
Ironically, because of his daughter's fame the London cabbie had been given opportunities to perform in public as well.
On being told the terrible news, he cancelled a gig at the Blue Note café in New York.
"I'm coming home. I have to be with Amy. I can't crack up for her sake. My family need me," he said.
Tributes for Amy Winehouse
- Sarah Brown: " Just heard the sad news that Amy Winehouse has died. At only 27 what a terrible waste of a great talent. Sincere condolences to her family."
- Kelly Osbourne: " i cant even breath right now im crying so hard i just lost 1 of my best friends. i love you forever Amy & will never forget the real you!"
- Piers Morgan: " Such desperately sad news re Amy Winehouse. Supreme talent, terrible self-destructive addictive personality."
- LeAnn Rimes: " RIP Amy Winehouse. So sad to see such a talent gone and her life end in tragedy. This makes me terribly sad."
- Fearne Cotton: " Can not believe the news. Amy was a special girl. The saddest news."
- Lily Allen: " Its just beyond sad, there's nothing else to say. She was such a lost soul, may she rest in peace."
- Jessie J: " The way tears are streaming down my face. Such a loss."
- Mark Ronson: " She was my musical soulmate and like a sister to me. This is one of the saddest days of my life."
- Phillip Schofield: " Just heard the sad news that Amy Winehouse has died. At only 27 what a terrible waste of a great talent. Sincere condolences to her family."
- Demi Moore: " Truly sad news about Amy Winehouse. My heart goes out to her family. May her troubled soul find peace."
- Chris Moyles: " Shocking terrible sad news about Amy Winehouse. Stunned. Thoughts go out to her friends and family."
- Jamie Oliver: " Such a terrible shame to loose Amy winehouse such a talent, such a waste, raw talent."
- Davina McCall: " Amy Winehouse found dead at her home. So very very sad. A huge talent."
- Katie Price: "Omg how sad Amy Winehouse been found dead tragic. My thoughts are with her family xxxx."
- Edith Bowman: " Can't quite get my head round the news about Amy, such a talent, such a sad day, such a loss. RIP Amy x."