At this year's Grammys, Adele quipped that her hit album 21 was the result of "a rubbish relationship".
But the heartbreak certainly served its purpose, as her album yielded six wins on the night.
The London songstress turned every one of her nominations into a prize, putting her on a par with Beyonce – the only other artist to pull of the feat.
CLICK ON PHOTO FOR FULL GALLERY
Her success was even sweeter given that the star was returning to the music scene after undergoing throat surgery on her vocal chords.
Adele became tearful as she collected her gong for album of the year for 21, recognising that the past twelve months had been "the most life-changing year".
The bubbly singer poked fun at her runny nose as she stood before the audience, joking : "oh, a little bit of snot".
But she was back in diva mode as she ascended the stage to belt out her instant classic, Rolling In The Deep.
Her rousing powerhouse vocals earned her a standing ovation from the crowd. The single also bagged her the night's most coveted awards - Song of the Year, and Record of the Year.
Snapping at Adele's heels were Foo Fighters, who romped through the rock categories with multiple wins, and lit up the stage with their thundering set.
Others triumphant on the night included controversial rapper Chris Brown, whose F.A.M.E. disc was crowned Best R&B album, while Taylor Swift impressed with her lilting country tunes.
54th Grammy Award Winners
- Record of The Year - Adele, Rolling In The Deep
- Album of The Year - Adele, 21
- Song of The Year -Adele, Rolling In The Deep
- Best New Artist - Bon Iver
- Best Pop Solo Performance - Adele, Someone Like You
- Best Pop Duo/Group Performance - Tony Bennett & Amy Winehouse Body And Soul
- Best Pop Instrumental Album - Booker T Jones, The Road From Memphis
- Best Pop Vocal Album - Adele, 21
- Best Dance Recording - Skrillex, Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites
- Best Electronic Album - Skrillex, Scary Monsters And Nice Sprites
- Best Traditional Pop Album - Tony Bennett, Duets II
- Best Rock Performance - Foo Fighters, Walk
- Best Hard Rock Performance - Foo Fighters, White Limo
- Best Rock Song - Foo Fighters, Walk
- Best Rock Album - Foo Fighters, Wasting Light
- Best Alternative Music Album - Bon Iver, Bon Iver
- Best R & B Performance - Corrine Bailer Rae, Is This Love
- Best R & B Album - Chris Brown, F.A.M.E.
- Best Rap Performance - Jay- Z & Kanye West, Otis
- Best Rap Song - Kanye West, Rihanna & Fergie, All Of The Lights
- Best Rap Album - Kanye West, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
- Best Country Solo Performance - Taylor Swift, Mean
- Best Country Duo/Group Performance - The Civil Wars, Barton Hollow
- Best Country Song - Taylor Swift, Mean
- Best Country Album - Lady Antebellum, Own The Night
- Short-form music video: Adele, Rolling in the Deep