Kevin Spacey denies boycotting Vanity Fair party in support of Gwyneth Paltrow
06 MARCH 2014Kevin Spacey had a very good reason for not attending Vanity Fair's Oscars party – and it has nothing to do with Gwyneth Paltrow.
It had been speculated that the actor skipped the star-studded bash on Sunday in solidarity with Gwyneth, who famously fell out with the publication over a 'tell-all' article.
Kevin Spacey has denied boycotting the Vanity Fair Oscars party
But a representative for Kevin has said that is simply not true.
The House of Cards star headed to Palm Springs on Sunday night to attend Will Ferrell's Cancer for College charity tennis event the following day, which raises college scholarships for cancer survivors.
"He cares about the kids who have survived cancer, and that is the reason he did not attend any of the post-Oscar parties, not even the one that his producing partner threw for Captain Phillips, a film he is especially proud to be a part of, that was nominated for six Academy Awards," his rep told Gossip Cop.
The star instead headed to Palm Springs for Will Ferrell's Cancer for College event
"His sole priority that night after the show was to help the young students whose lives have been changed for the better through this charity."
The spokesperson added that Kevin "wasn't even aware of the issues that have been reported between Gwyneth Paltrow and Vanity Fair."
Gwyneth is said to have fallen out with the magazine's editor Graydon Carter over an article that would reveal the 'truth' about the actress' life.
Gwyneth famously fell out with Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter
Graydon opened up on the "brouhaha" in Vanity Fair's March edition. He insisted that the original story was simply borne out of his request for a piece on the actress after noticing that "people tend to have passionate opinions" on her.
"What began so innocently quickly took a turn, however," he wrote in his monthly editor’s letter. "Once the story was assigned, the writer reached out to Paltrow's representatives and friends, and Paltrow sent the now-infamous email to her show-business pals.
"She asked that they not speak to Vanity Fair about her, or about anything else ever again. Ever. Never."
The actress and editor have since reconciled
He said that he received the story at the end of the summer, but decided to sit on it because there was no way it could live up to the sensational article people expected.
"It was just what had been assigned," he said. "A reasoned, reported essay on the hate/love fest that encircles Gwyneth Paltrow.
"I thought it perfectly explained the whole phenomenon. But it was such a far cry from the almost mythical story that people were by now expecting – the 'epic takedown', filled with 'bombshell' revelations – that is was bound to be a disappointment."
Finally, he wrote, "In October, Gwyneth called me. We talked for 20 minutes about the story and her reaction, or over-reaction, to it.
"At one point, she asked my advice as to what to do to get the 'haters' on her side. I suggested putting on 15 pounds. I joked that it works for me. She replied that I had put on much more than that. Which I thought was fair and funny."