Ingredients (Serves 2)
For the salad
For the dressing
- 25g/1oz Fairtrade quinoa
- Salt and Fairtrade black pepper
- 200g/7oz broccoli, cut into small florets
- 100g/4oz peas, fresh or frozen
- 100g/4oz cucumber, cut into slim batons
- 100g/4oz good-quality feta cheese, crumbled
- 20g/3/4oz alfalfa
- 20g/3/4oz toasted Fairtrade seeds (such as sesame, sunflower, flax and pumpkin)
- 50g/2oz Fairtrade avocado, diced and sprinkled with lemon juice
- Small handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Small handful mint, chopped
- 2 dessertspoons juice from a Fairtrade lemon
- 4 dessertspoons extra virgin olive oil
Put the quinoa in small pan. Just cover with cold water then add another 2.5cm/1in of water. Simmer gently for about 15 minutes, until the water has been fully absorbed. Using a spoon, spread the quinoa on a tray to cool at room temperature.
Pour 2.5cm/1in of hot water into a pan with a pinch of salt, cover with a lid and heat to boiling point. Once boiling, drop in the broccoli florets and peas and put the lid back on. Drain after 3 minutes and run the vegetables under cold running water to take out all the heat and keep them crisp and green.
Build your salad in layers now, either on 2 individual plates or on a main plate to share. Start with a layer of quinoa and finish with the chopped parsley and mint.
For the dressing, whisk the lemon juice, oil and some seasoning together. Dress the salad just before serving.