Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 50g/2oz butter
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 450g/1lb chestnut or large, white flat mushrooms, wiped and sliced
- 300ml/1⁄2pt water
- 300ml/1⁄2pt full-fat milk
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tbsp single cream
Melt half the butter in a large pan, add the shallot and mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes, then pour in the water, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and whizz until smooth. (If liked, you can now push the purée through a sieve to give a finer texture.)
Return the mushroom mixture to the pan, add the milk, remaining butter and flour, and slowly bring to the boil, stirring with a balloon whisk until the mixture boils and thickens. Season to taste, then stir in half the cream. Divide between warm bowls, then
serve with the remaining cream swirled in.