Ingredients (Serves 4 as a main course)
- 2 thick slices stale white country-style bread, crusts removed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 150g/5oz blanched almonds, very finely ground
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 150ml/5fl oz extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar (or to taste)
- Small bunch of seedless green grapes, halved
Soak the bread in a little water for 5 minutes to soften it. Squeeze out the excess water and transfer the bread to a food processor. Add the garlic, almonds and 800ml/28fl oz water and whizz until smooth. Season and refrigerate for an hour to allow the flavour to develop.
Stir in 100ml/4fl oz of the olive oil and the vinegar. Spoon into 4 chilled bowls, drizzle with the remaining oil, scatter with the grapes and serve.