Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 500g/1lb 2oz braising steak, diced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 25g/1oz fresh root ginger,peeled and grated
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 x 410g can kidney beans,drained and well rinsed
- 1 small orange,peeled and cut into 6 wedges
- 1 beef stock cube, crumbled
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped freshcoriander leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Soured cream and chopped fresh parsley to serve
Pat the meat dry with kitchen paper.
Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a deep casserole dish on the hob, add the meat and cook for about 10 minutes, until browned all over. Stir in the flour and tomato purée.
Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan, add the onion, peppers, ginger and chilli and cook gently for about 10 minutes, until softened and golden. Transfer to the casserole dish and stir.
Place half the kidney beans in a food processor, just cover with cold water and blitz until smooth, then stir into the beef mixture. Add the orange wedges, remaining kidney beans, stock cube and coriander, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Bring to the boil on the hob, then cover with a tight lid and cook over a low heat for 2 hours, or until the beef is tender. Serve topped with a dollop of soured cream and sprinkled with parsley.