Ingredients (Makes 1 x 23cm/9in tart)
For the filling
For the pastry
- 100g/4oz diced pancetta (Italian cured bacon)
- 1 white onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1⁄2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Dash of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 150g/5oz Pure Organic, Soya or Sunflower spread
- 100g/4oz plain flour
- 100g/4oz self-raising flour
- 100g/4oz polenta
- 1 tsp paprika
- Cold water to bind
Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4 and lightly grease and line a loose-bottomed tart tin measuring 23cm/9in diameter x 2cm/3⁄4in deep.
For the filling, heat a dry frying pan, add the pancetta and cook for 1 minute. Add all the sliced vegetables and chopped rosemary and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, season and stir in the balsamic vinegar and parsley. Set aside.
Put all the pastry ingredients except water into a food processor and whizz, adding the water a little at a time until it combines into a dough. Roll into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use it to line the prepared tin. Bake blind – line the pastry case with greaseproof paper, bringing it up the sides, then fill with baking beans or dried pasta or rice – for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, take out the baking beans and greaseproof paper and spoon in the reserved filling. Return to the oven and cook for a further 5 minutes until the filling is piping hot.