Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 banana shallots, peeled and diced
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, stalks removed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled; crush one and keep the other whole
- 400g/14oz dry rigatoni pasta
- 150g/5oz Gorgonzola cheese (at room temperature), crumbled
- 400g/14oz boneless, skinless salmon fillet, poached or pan-fried for 2 minutes on each side
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 25g/1oz baby spinach, washed
- 15g/1⁄2oz fresh basil leaves, torn
- 3 tbsp double cream
Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan and gently cook the onion and shallots until translucent. Add the tomatoes, sugar and thyme then simmer for 20 minutes to reduce.
Stir in the crushed garlic clove. Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente in lightly salted water to which the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil has been added. Drain.
Add the Gorgonzola to the tomato sauce to warm it through (being careful not to cook the cheese). Flake the salmon into the sauce and season to taste. Tip the sauce into a large bowl and fold in the warm pasta, spinach leaves and basil. Transfer everything back to the pan, stir in the cream and add the whole garlic clove to infuse with flavour. Gently heat through and then serve immediately.