Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 200g/7oz green lentils
- 850ml/11⁄2pt vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 4 sticks celery, diced
- 1 whole sprig of fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme, stalk removed
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch chervil, chopped
Put the lentils in a bowl and cover with cold water. Leave them to soak for an hour or until all the water has been absorbed. Transfer them to a saucepan and pour over the stock. Leave the lentils to bubble away until cooked.
Splash the olive oil into a frying pan and add the diced carrots, onion, celery and herbs, except the chervil.
Season and gently cook the vegetables until they are soft but not browned. Just before you are ready to eat, combine the vegetables and the lentils, stir through the chopped fresh chervil and serve.