Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 x 420g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 175g/6oz wholegrain breadcrumbs
- 100g/4oz unsalted peanuts or cashews
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp medium curry paste
- 50g/2oz fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- Wholemeal rolls and salad leaves to serve
Lightly mash the beans with a fork and stir in the breadcrumbs.
Blend the nuts in a blender or processor until roughly chopped (or chop on a board by hand). Add to the bowl with the onion.
Beat together the curry paste, ginger and eggs and add to the bowl with a little seasoning. Stir well until combined.
Using wetted hands to prevent sticking, shape the mixture into 4 large or 8 small balls, then flatten into burger shapes.
Heat half the oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook half the burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden. Keep warm while cooking the remaining burgers in the rest of the oil.
Serve in wholemeal rolls with a few salad leaves.