Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 pork loin chops, bone in, weighing about
- 350g/12oz each and 2.5cm/1in thick
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the spice rub
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salsa
- 3 ripe but firm peaches, stoned and diced small
- 4 tbsp red onion, diced small
- 1 tbsp chipotle peppers (smoked jalapeno peppers) in adobo sauce, mashed
- Juice of 3 limes
- 5 tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander
For the spice rub, combine the cumin, coriander and chilli powder in a small bowl, season to taste and mix well.
Rub the pork chops lightly with the oil then coat them generously with the spice rub. Set aside while you make the salsa.
Put the peaches, onion, chipotle peppers, lime juice and coriander in a bowl, season and mix well. Set aside.
Cook the pork over hot barbecue coals, turning once, until cooked to preference (10-12 minutes each side for medium). To check if the meat is cooked, cut into the thickest part of one of the chops and look at the centre to be sure it is just slightly less done than you like it. Serve topped with a dollop of salsa. The salsa can be made, without the fresh coriander, up to 4 hours ahead, then covered and chilled. Remove from the fridge and bring back to room temperature 1 hour before needed. Stir in the herbs before serving.