Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 400g/14oz broccoli
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 3 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 2 tsp each rice wine vinegar or dry sherry and sesame oil
- Pinch five spice powder
- 400g/14oz lean rump or sirloin steak
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and thickly sliced
- 250g/9oz chestnut mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 150ml/1⁄4 pt beef or vegetable stock
Cut the broccoli into equal-sized small florets, discarding the stalk, then drop into a pan of boiling water and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Blend the cornflour with the soy sauce then add the vinegar, sesame oil and five spice powder.
Thinly slice the steak across the grain into slices 5cm/2in long. Heat the sunflower oil in a wok, add the garlic, the onion, beef and mushrooms and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes.
Stir in the soy sauce mixture along with the stock and allow to bubble up.
Add the broccoli and heat through.
Good served with cooked basmati rice.