Ingredients (Serves 4)
For the salad
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 8 small boneless chicken thighs, skin on
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Buttered baby potatoes with chives and wilted spinach, to serve
- Juice and zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 2 tbsp sundried tomatoes, very finely chopped
- 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp baby capers, drained
- 1 tbsp cornichons (baby gherkins finely chopped
- Large handful fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Season the chicken and sprinkle with oregano, then place, skin-side down, in the hot oil and cook on a medium heat for approximately 20 minutes. Do not touch or turn during this cooking time.
Meanwhile, start to make the salad. Mix the lemon juice and zest with the sundried tomatoes. Whisk in the extra virgin olive oil, add the capers and cornichons, then season to taste and set aside.
When the chicken has been cooking for 20 minutes or so, turn it over – it should be crispy and almost cooked through. Cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes until done. Rest the meat for a couple of minutes, while you complete the salad by adding the chopped parsley.
Place two pieces of chicken on each plate with a pile of salad on top, with a generous helping of potatoes and wilted spinach on the side.