Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 25g/1oz butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 beef tomatoes, sliced thickly
- A good pinch of sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 450g/1lb cooked chopped spinach
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- About 400g/14oz cooked cold gammon, cut into rough strips
- 75g/3oz strong Cheddar cheese, grated, plus 25g/1oz extra
- 2 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- 40g/11⁄2oz Parmesan, grated
- 600ml/1pt hot white sauce
- 2 tsp English mustard
Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas 5.
Heat the butter in a large frying pan, add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and toss these in the garlic butter for no more than 30 seconds, then scatter over the sugar and season well.
Tip the seasoned tomatoes into a large shallow ovenproof dish and level off. Spoon the spinach over, stir in the nutmeg and season with pepper. Top with strips of gammon. Mix together the extra grated Cheddar with the breadcrumbs and set aside.
Add the grated Cheddar and Parmesan to the white sauce, stir in the mustard and season. Spoon over the gammon then sprinkle over the reserved cheese-andbreadcrumb mix.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until bubbling hot and golden brown.