Ingredients (Serves 6-8
- 500g/1lb 2oz Bramley apples, cored and quartered
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2cm/3⁄4in piece root ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 tsp jerk spice mix
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp black treacle
- 300ml/1⁄2pt pineapple juice
- 1kg/21⁄4lb pork spare ribs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Coarsely grate the Bramley apples.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan, add the apples, onion and root ginger then sauté for 4 minutes. Stir in the jerk spice mix, ketchup, black treacle and pineapple juice, then bring to the boil.
Add the spare ribs to the pan, season with salt and freshly ground pepper, cover the pan with a lid and bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until the ribs are tender and the sauce reduced.
Preheat the grill. Lift the ribs from the sauce and cook under the preheated grill for 10-15 minutes, turning and brushing with more sauce, until crispy and golden brown. Serve with lots of napkins and a finger bowl.