Ingredients (Serves 4-6
- 75g/3oz smoked bacon lardons
- 500g/1lb 2oz pork, cubed
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 200g/7oz Polish sausage, such as wiejska, skinned and sliced
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 450ml/3⁄4pt chicken stock
- 150ml/1⁄4pt red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 500g/1lb 2oz potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 500g/1lb 2oz Bramley apples, quartered, cored, then sliced in half
- 175g/6oz red cabbage, cored and sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rye bread and sour cream to serve
Heat a large saucepan, add the bacon lardons and sauté for 4 minutes until they are crisp and the fat has run. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Add the cubed pork to the bacon fat in the pan along with the onion, garlic and sausage then sauté for 5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients except for the salt and pepper and bring to the boil, then season with plenty of freshly ground black pepper and just a little salt (the bacon and sausage add their own salt), cover the pan and simmer for 50 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Ladle into warm bowls and serve