(makes 12 cupcakes)
For the icing
- 175g/6oz butter, softened
- 175g/6oz Fairtrade unrefined golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 175g/6oz self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp Cafédirect Classic Blend Premium instant coffee
- 65g/21⁄2oz Fairtrade walnut pieces
- 100g/4oz Fairtrade icing sugar
- 4 tbsp boiling water
- 4 tsp Cafédirect Classic Blend Premium Quality instant coffee
- 12 walnut halves
Preheat the oven to 170°C, 325°F, Gas 3, and line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cases.
In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light, pale and fluffy. Crack the eggs into a separate bowl or cup. Break them up slightly with a fork and add them, a little at a time, to the butter and sugar mixture, beating well after each addition.
In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder. Using a large metal spoon, fold them into the butter, sugar and egg mixture, a little at a time.
Dissolve the coffee in 1 tbsp boiling water and stir into the cake mix, then gently fold in the chopped walnuts.
Divide the mixture between the cases then bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and springy to the touch. Leave to cool.
To make the icing, place the icing sugar in a bowl. Mix the boiling water with the coffee then stir into the icing sugar. Leave for 1 minute, then lift a spoon out of the mixture – the icing should run off in thick ribbons. If not, add a little more water.
Spread the icing over the cupcakes and top each one with a walnut half.