- 350g/12oz carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 350g/12oz raw beetroot, peeled and trimmed
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1 small bunch of flat parsley, roughly chopped
Peel and trim the carrots and beetroot, then coarsely grate both on a grater – wear rubber gloves if you don’t want pink hands! Alternatively, use a food processor fitted with a grating plate. Place the grated vegetables in a bowl, add the shallots.
Heat the cumin seeds in a small pan until they are hot and smell pungent. Remove from the heat and scatter over the vegetables. Add the olive oil, vinegar and parsley, then toss well. Leave to marinate for at least 15mins before serving.