- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut in bite-sized chunks
- 8 whole cloves garlic, unpeeled
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 2 fat cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 225g/8oz Riso Gallo Arborio risotto rice
- ½ wine glass dry white wine
- 850ml/1½pt vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 25g/1oz coarsely grated Parmesan
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
First roast the squash and whole garlic cloves. Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas 6. Place the squash chunks and whole garlic cloves in a roasting tray and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast in the oven for around 15 minutes or until the squash is just colouring at the edges and the garlic has softened. Remove and reserve.
Heat the 2 tbsp of oil in a pan, add the shallots and garlic slices and gently fry until softened but not browned. Add the rice and stir to coat with the mix.
Pour over the wine and bubble until absorbed, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add a ladleful of stock and continue stirring over medium heat until it has been absorbed. Continue adding one ladleful of stock at a time until half of it has been incorporated and the rice is semi-cooked.
Stir in the roasted squash and garlic, then continue adding the stock and stirring until the rice is just tender and creamy. You may not need to use all the stock.
Stir in the parsley and serve heaped into warm bowls and garnished with coarsely grated Parmesan and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.