- 50g/2oz butter
- 1 dessert apple, cored, peeled and sliced
- 700g/1½lb parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 Bramley cooking apple, cored, peeled and sliced
- 1.25ltr/2pt vegetable stock
- 4 fresh sage leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 2 whole cloves
- 150ml/¼pt single cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt half the butter in a large saucepan and add the dessert apple slices. Sauté until lightly browned, remove and set aside.
Melt the remaining butter and add the parsnips and Bramley apple slices. Cover and cook gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the stock, sage and cloves. Bring to the boil, cover, then simmer for 30 minutes until the parsnips have softened.
Remove the sage and cloves, then purée in a blender. Return the soup to the pan and reheat gently with the cream. Season to taste. Serve hot, garnished with the sage leaves and dessert apple slices, and with granary bread, if liked.