Peking-Style Beef Fried Noodles
Chinese people refer to Peking as being ‘the real China’, and this recipe is certainly authentically Chinese
04 MARCH 2010
Ingredients (Serves 4
- 450g wheat-flour noodles
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 slices root ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 225g minced beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon yellow bean paste
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons beef stock
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 small cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 2 spring onions, cut into matchsticks
Prepare the noodles: dip them in boiling water for 15 seconds, then drain and place on a large serving dish.
Heat the vegetable oil in a wok and stir-fry the onion and ginger for 1 minute, then add the garlic and minced beef and stir-fry over a medium heat for 3 minutes.
Add the salt, yellow bean paste and soy sauce. Stirring well, cook for 3 minutes, then add the stock and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Make a cornstarch paste with the cornflour and water and stir in until the mixture thickens, then pour over the noodles. Place the cucumber and chopped spring onions on top and serve.