- 250g/9oz cooked beetroot (fresh or vacuum-packed), chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200ml/7fl oz sunflower oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 175g/6oz organic self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 75g/3oz cocoa powder, sifted
- 160g/5½oz golden caster sugar
- 300g/11oz mixed fresh berries, to decorate
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream, to serve (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4 and lightly grease and base-line a 23cm/9in springform or loose-bottomed cake tin with baking parchment.
Purée the beetroot in a blender then pour into a large bowl and add the vanilla extract, oil and eggs. Mix together well with a balloon whisk.
In a separate large bowl sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder then stir in the caster sugar. Pour the beetroot mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until blended.
Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and cover lightly with foil to prevent the cake from over-browning. Return to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin slightly before turning out on to a wire rack.
This cake is delicious served either warm or cold, piled high with the berries and finished with a light dusting of icing sugar.
Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream on the side, if liked.