- 4 black bream fillets (or any white fish), pin-boned
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or corn oil
- 1 quantity of Roasted Aubergine, Tomato and Potato Crush
For the kachumber
- ¼ small cucumber, deseeded and cut into 3mm (1/8-inch) dice
- ½ carrot, cut into 3mm (1/8-inch) dice
- 1 tomato, deseeded and cut into 3mm (1/8-inch) dice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander
For the marinade
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon black onion seeds
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
Roasted Aubergine, tomato and potato crush
- 1 large aubergine
- 1 medium sized boiled and peeled potato and crushed
- 2 tomatoes 1 green chiili chopped
- ½ tea spoon salt
- ½ lime juice extracted
- ½ a small red onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of freshly chopped coriander
First make the kachumber. Place the diced cucumber, carrot and tomato in a mixing bowl. Whisk together the salt, sugar, lemon juice, olive oil and coriander to make a dressing and mix it with the diced vegetables. Check the seasoning.
Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade, rub them over the fish and set aside for 10 minutes.Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan, add the black bream fillets, skin-side down, and sear for 3–4 minutes, until well coloured underneath. Turn and cook for another 2 minutes or until just cooked through.
To serve, place the Roasted Aubergine, Tomato and Potato Crush in the centre of each plate and put the fish on top, then drizzle the kachumber around the plate.
For the aubergine: grease the aubergine with a teaspoon of oil and roast it in a hot oven, cool it peel the skin, chop and set aside. Roast the tomatoes and skin it, chop the flesh. In a mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients and chill it.