- 450g/1lb beef mince
- 1 small green apple, grated
- 2-3 tbsp freshly chopped chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- English muffins or burger buns, to serve
- Salad leaves, to serve
For the pickled cucumber relish
- 5 tbsp Greek yoghurt or mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped dill
- 2-3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 50g/2oz pickled cucumbers or gherkins, drained and finely chopped
In a large bowl, mix together the mince, grated apple, chives and seasoning. Divide the mixture into 4 and, using slightly damp hands, shape into 10cm/4in burgers. Cover and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
Cook the burgers on a prepared barbecue, or under a preheated moderate grill, for 6-8 minutes on each side or until the meat juices run clear.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together all the relish ingredients. Serve the burgers on a few seasonal salad leaves (pea shoots are delicious) in an English muffin or burger bun, topped with a spoonful of the relish.