Kenny Atkinson’s pan roasted scallops with gazpacho soup and basil cress
11 AUGUST 2011
Ingredients (Serves 4
For the gazpacho
- 12 x Scallops – cleaned (your fishmonger can do this for you)
- 50 ml Borderfields rapeseed oil
- Lemon juice
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- 250g plum or cherry tomatoes – cut in half & seeds removed
- 300g red peppers – cut in half & seeds removed
- 100g yellow peppers – cut in half & seeds removed
- 100g cucumber – peeled, cut in half & seeds removed
- 2 fl oz white wine vinegar
- 300ml Borderfields rapeseed oil
- ½ tin whole plum tomatoes
- 2 x cloves garlic – peeled
- ½ bunch basil
- 3 sprigs of coriander
- Pinch of salt and cayenne pepper
Roughly dice the peppers, tomatoes & cucumbers add to a bowl, add the remaining ingredients to the bowl too, season with salt & pepper and mix, cling film and place in the fridge for 24 hours.
After the ingredients have marinated pour in to a blender and blend to a smooth puree, pass the soup through a fine sieve and season to taste.
In a hot pan add a little rape seed oil and cook the scallops’ approx 2 minutes on one side, turn scallops over and cook for a further 2 minutes, season with a little salt & lemon juice.
Neatly arrange the scallops in to the centre of the bowl and pour the chilled soup around the scallops Drizzle with a little more rapeseed oil and garnish with a little picked fresh basil leaves