- 2 medium aubergines, trimmed
- 150ml/¼pt olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 2 x 400g cans cherry tomatoes
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 500g/1lb 2oz rigatoni pasta
- 100g/4oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Cut the aubergines into strips about 1cm/½in wide and 5cm/2in long, discarding the seeds
Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the aubergines and fry, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
Remove the aubergines from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Sprinkle with a little salt.
Discard two-thirds of the oil from the pan in which you fried the aubergines then fry the garlic in the remaining oil for 30 seconds.
Add the cherry tomatoes and basil then simmer over a medium