- Oil for greasing
- 15g/½oz fresh yeast
- 125ml/4½fl oz full-fat warm milk
- 400g/14oz strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 3 pinches salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 80g/3½oz caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 150g/5oz salted butter, at room temperature, plus extra, melted for brushing
- 120g/4¼oz mixed candied peel, chopped
- 60g/2½oz raisins
1. Brush a 15cm/6in diameter cake tin or soufflé dish with a little butter then line with a double layer of greaseproof paper, ensuring that you leave a collar of paper 8cm/3¼in above the top of the tin. Oil the inside of a large bowl.
2. Melt the yeast in the milk, stirring constantly to make sure it dissolves completely.
3. Sift all but 2 tbsp of the flour into a large bowl. Sprinkle over the salt and make a well in the centre. Pour in the yeast and milk mixture, along with the whole eggs and gently mix everything together to make a thick batter. Sprinkle over the reserved flour then leave in a warm place for 35 minutes.
4. Add the sugar and egg yolks and mix together to create a soft dough. Work in the softened butter then turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for approximately 5 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic, then shape into a ball.
5. Place the dough ball in the oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm. Leave the dough to rise in a warm place away from draughts for 2 hours.
6. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch down. Gently knead in the candied peel and raisins. Shape again into a ball and place in the prepared tin. Cover the tin with clingfilm and leave the dough to rise in a warm place away from draughts for 1 hour.
7. Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas 5. Using a sharp knife, make a cross on the top of the panettone. Brush with a little melted butter.
8. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes. Lower the temperature to 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4, brush the top with more butter and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes.
9. Once the panettone is out of the oven, leave the cake in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.