- Butter for greasing
- Sugar for dusting
- 6 eggs
- 40g/1½oz plain flour
- Pinch salt
- 250ml/9fl oz milk, or 125ml/4½fl oz milk mixed with 125ml/4½fl oz crème fraîche
- 750g/1lb 10oz fresh black cherries, washed and stoned
- 2 tbsp kirsch
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas 6. Thoroughly grease a shallow ovenproof dish with butter then generously dust with sugar.
2. Put the eggs, flour and salt in a bowl. Stir in a little milk and mix until smooth. Start whisking to introduce air into the batter then gradually add the rest of the milk and the crème fraîche, if using. The batter should be roughly the same consistency as pancake batter.
3. Stir in the cherries and the kirsch. Pour the cherry batter mixture into the greased dish, distributing the cherries evenly. Bake for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and serve warm or cold.