- 200g/7oz blackberries, fresh or frozen (defrosted if frozen)
- 50g/2oz caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp water
- 100g/4oz butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 100g/4oz caster sugar
- 100g/4oz self-raising flour
- 50g/2oz desiccated coconut
- 2 eggs
- Custard or cream, to serve
1. Lightly butter 4 x 250ml/9fl oz metal pudding moulds and line each base with a circle of non-stick baking paper.
2. Put half the blackberries into a small saucepan then mix in the sugar, cornflour and water. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until the blackberries are soft and the sauce is thick. Add the rest of the blackberries and leave to cool.
3. To make the sponge, put all the ingredients into a bowl and beat until smooth.
4. Divide the blackberry mixture between the pudding moulds then spoon the sponge mix on top. Level the surface of each pudding then loosely cover each with a square of buttered foil. Cook in the top of a covered steamer for 30-35 minutes until the sponge is well risen and springs back when pressed lightly with a fingertip.
5. Loosen the edges of each pudding with a round-bladed knife, turn out onto plates, remove the lining paper and serve immediately with custard or cream.