Dish type: Baking
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 12-15 minutes
- 350g/12 oz self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50g/2 oz caster sugar
- 65g/2 ½ oz chilled butter, diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150ml/ ¼ pint semi skimmed milk
- 250g/9oz carton Cornish clotted cream
- 450g/1lb jar strawberry jam
- Add the flour, sugar and butter to a mixing bowl and rub in with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine crumbs, or mix in a food processor. Add all but one tablespoon of the egg then gradually mix in enough milk to make a soft but not sticky dough.
- Tip out on to a floured surface, knead very lightly then roll out into a rough shaped round about 2cm/ ¾ inch thick. Stamp out rounds with a 6.5cm/2 ½ inch fluted biscuit cutter, reshaping and re-rolling trimmings until you have eight scones. Place on a buttered baking sheet and brush the tops with the reserved egg.
- Bake in a preheated oven set to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Leave to cool then serve warm or completely cold, split and topped with cream and jam.