Dish type: Pasta
Cooking time: 30 minutes
For the carbonara pasta:
20ml olive oil
350g Prosciutto di San Daniele, sliced
100ml white wine
500g dried pasta, such as bucatini or penne
6g black peppercorns, coarsely ground
100g Grana Padano Cheese, freshly grated
For the crispy Grana Padano Cheese Basket (Makes 1 Basket):
50g Grana Padano Cheese, grated
20cm oven paper
1) Heat the oil in a large frying pan and, when hot, add the sliced Prosciutto di San Daniele and fry until crispy. Add the wine and reduce for a couple of minutes. Set aside.
2) Put the pasta into a saucepan of boiling water and cook until al dente.
3) Beat the eggs and black pepper together. Drain the cooked pasta in a colander, return it to the pan off the heat and add the beaten egg, Prosciutto di San Daniele, and 80g of the Grana Padano Cheese - stir well to combine.
4) Serve in warm plates with some Grana Padano Cheese scattered over the top and 1 slice of Prosciutto di San Daniele.
5) To make the cheese basket preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas mark 5. Then spread a 2cm thick layer of grated cheese on oven paper and bake for 6 minutes.
6) After taking it out, allow it to rest until it stops bubbling. Then shape around the bottom of an upside down bowl and allow to cool.
: Add salt to the water make it boil quicker.