50g (2oz)butter softened
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1.2 litres (2 pints) vegetable stock
400g (14oz) potatoes, peeled and diced
300g (10oz) baby spinach
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
200g (7oz) half fat crème fraiche
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often, until soft and golden.
2. Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
3. Add the potatoes, return to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add the spinach and chickpeas and simmer for another 5 minutes.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve, topping each portion with a spoonful of crème fraiche.
Cook’s tip: If you’re not vegetarian, you could use chicken stock instead of vegetable.