Dish type: Dessert
Preparation and cooking time: 45 minutes
1 whole sweet potato
8oz caster sugar
4 medium free range eggs
6oz self raising flour
1 dash of vanilla essence
For the Icing:
250ml Double Cream
1 Tub Crème Fraîche
1. Turn your oven on to 180 C / Gas Mark 4. Grease a 30cm Cake Tin or line with baking parchment, leave aside until needed.
2. Peel your sweet potato, chop into 1cm x 1cm rough chunks and boil in water until soft. While the sweet potato is boiling, make the cake batter in a blender by beating together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
3. When your sweet potato is soft, take off the heat and drain. Leave to cool on the side.
4. Add each egg individually to your batter, turning the blender to high speed.Once all the eggs are mixed through add in your dash of vanilla essence.
5. Turn down the speed and gently mix through the flour and soft sweet potato chunks.
6. Once thoroughly mixed place the cake mixture in the tin and cook for 35 - 40mins at 180 C / Gas Mark 4 or until cooked.
7. Whilst the cake is in the oven begin your icing by whisking the cream until it forms soft peaks before adding in the Crème Fraîche
8. When cooked the cake will have browned on top and a skewer placed in the middle of the cake should come out clean.