Dish Type: Dessert
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
For the sponge:
175g unsalted butter, softened
175g golden caster sugar
3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
175g self-raising flour
2 tbsp whole milk
1 tsp Nielsen-Massey vanilla bean paste
For the Filling:
150g icing sugar
75g unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp Nielsen-Massey vanilla extract
Approx. 3 tbsp strawberry jam
For the topping:
100g fondant icing sugar
Pink and yellow food colouring
• Beat together the butter and golden caster sugar, until pale and creamy.
• Whisk in the eggs a little at a time, then add the Nielsen-Massey vanilla bean paste and fold in. Fold in the flour and then stir in enough milk so the mixture easily falls off a spoon.
• Transfer into cake tin and cook for 35-40 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then turn out and cool upside down on a wire rack. Cut the cake in half horizontally.
• For the filling, beat butter and slowly beat in the icing sugar and vanilla extract until smooth, creating a butter cream. Reserve about 2 tablespoons of butter icing and distribute the remaining on one half of your cake, top your butter cream with jam and sandwich together.
• Cut the cake into 16 squares. Spoon a dollop of the remaining butter icing on top of each cake.
• Sieve the fondant icing sugar into a small bowl and stir in enough hot water to make a smooth icing thick enough to coat cakes. Split the icing between 2 bowls.
• Add pink colouring to one bowl and yellow colouring to the other. Drizzle the icing over your cakes, ensuring the top and sides of the cakes and covered. Sit in paper cases and decorate with sugar flowers.