Dish type: Dessert
Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
500g (1lb 2oz) no-need-to-soak dried apricots, finely chopped
200g (7oz) light brown sugar
300ml (10fl.oz) cold Earl Grey tea
1 egg, beaten
A few drops Dr. Oetker Sicilian Natural Lemon Extract
300g (10oz) plain flour
2 tsp Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
1. Place the apricots, sugar and tea in a bowl. Mix well, cover and leave to stand in a cool place for about 3 hours until the apricots have plumped up a bit.
2. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 3/ 170°C/ 300°F/ or 150°C for a fan assisted oven. Grease and line a 900g (2lb) loaf tin.
3. Mix the egg and lemon extract into the soaked fruit and tea. Gradually sift the flour and baking powder over the fruit, carefully folding in after each addition, until well incorporated.
4. Spoon into the prepared tin, smooth over the top and bake in the oven for about 1 hour until risen and lightly golden, and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand for 10 mins before turning on to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. When cold, wrap well and store for 24 hours before slicing thinly, using a bread knife, to serve spread with low fat soft cheese and your favourite jam.
Sign up here to receive our recipe of the day