1. Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4, 180ºC, 350ºF.
2. Heat oil in a pan and lightly fry onion and garlic together. Remove from the heat, add the tomato and allow to cool slightly.
3. Place flour and suet into a bowl and mix together. Add sufficient cold water to bind the mixture together (approx 200ml). Pull the pastry together with your hands and then place on a floured board.
4. Roll out to about the size of a baking sheet (about 30 x 25 cm).
5. Take the sausages and slit the skins of each, remove the sausagemeat.
6. Spread the sausagemeat onto the rolled out pastry covering all the pastry in a single layer. Scatter with the onion mixture. Taking the longest edge carefully roll up (like a Swiss roll). Tuck in and seal the pastry at each end and lightly shape into a ’roll’.
7. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and place onto it the ‘roll’.
8. Bake in a preheated oven for about 45 minutes until crunchy and golden (cooking juices will collect on the tray, carefully pour this away at the end of cooking).
9. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into thick slices to serve.
10. Delicious served hot or cold with your favourite chutney.