Dish type: Main Course
Cooking and preparation time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
2 tablespoons nigella seeds
8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
500g (1lb 2oz) lean lamb (preferably leg), diced
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 teaspoon chilli powder
salt, to taste
400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon each ground coriander (cilantro) and ground cumin
2 tablespoons grated (peeled) fresh root ginger
25g (1oz) bunch of freshly chopped coriander (cilantro)
two plum tomatoes, finely chopped
one green chilli, finely chopped
1. Pour some olive oil into a deep saucepan, add the nigella seeds and garlic and cook over a low-medium heat until the garlic is a golden brown colour, stirring frequently. This should take no more than 2–3 minutes.
2. Into the saucepan add the lamb, onion, turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Mix well and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the lamb is sealed all over, stirring frequently.
3. Pour the can of tomatoes into the meat and spice mixture and stir through. Reduce to a low simmer and cook, covered, for 1 hour or until the meat is tender, stirring from time to time.
4. Mix in the ground coriander (cilantro), ground cumin, ginger, freshly chopped coriander (cilantro), chopped plum tomatoes and green chilli. Continue to cook uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Serve with your choice of sides.