Dish type: Dessert
Preparation and cooking time: 40 minutes
300g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
175g Kerrygold block butter
150g light soft brown sugar
Finely grated rind of 1 orange
150ml soured cream
150ml mulled wine, room temperature
Irish whiskey and chestnut frosting
200g Kerrygold block butter
100g chestnut puree
450g golden icing sugar
2-3 tbsp Irish whiskey
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease and base line a shallow rectangular baking tin. Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon together into a bowl.
2. Using an electric whisk beat the butter, sugar and orange rind together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and soured cream.
3. Alternatively fold in the flour mixture and mulled wine in three additions. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes until golden and cooked through. Cool for 5 minutes in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
4. To make the frosting, Beat the butter and chestnut puree together in a bowl using an electric whisk. Gradually beat in the sugar then the whiskey.
5. Using a plain pastry cutter slightly smaller than the top of the jars, cut out circles from the cooled cake. Carefully fit a layer of cake in the base of each jar. Fill a piping bag fitted with a small star nozzle with the frosting and pipe a layer over the cake. Top with another circle of cake, pushing down to fit snugly. Pipe a rosette of frosting on top of each cake and secure the lid to the jar. Tie each with a ribbon before serving.
It's a little princess!