Dish type: Chocolate
Deep rich and fudgy chocolate cake. What more to add?
110g caster sugar
2 tbsps golden syrup
30g ground almonds
110g self-raising flour
30g Divine Cocoa Powder
110g granulated sugar
140g Divine 85% Dark Chocolate
30ml double cream
• Pre heat the oven to 180c. Grease and line the base of 2 shallow 18cm / 7 inch cake tins.
• Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, add the syrup and the ground almonds.
• In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, and pinch of salt together and fold in to the creamed butter, then fill the cake tins equally with the mixture and bake for 40 minutes. You may need to cover the cakes with foil if they become slightly dark. To test the cakes are ready insert a skewer into the centre of the cake, if the skewer comes out clean the cakes are ready.
• Turn out and cool, then make the icing: place the sugar and milk in to a pan and dissolve the sugar then bring up to a boil and then simmer for 8 minutes.
• Take the pan off the heat, add the chocolate then add the butter, cream and stir in till it has melted. Then place in to the fridge to chill until thick enough to spread on to the cake (2-3 hours). Place 1 third in between the two layers and the rest on top.
Tom Aikens says, “Divine’s 85% cocoa bar is great for cooking with or just to nibble on with a cup of coffee! Chocolate with such a high cocoa level has less sugar and is much better for you than normal chocolate”.
To find out more and to buy Divine visit www.divinechocolate.com
Photo: Lisa Barber for Divine Chocolate