Dish type: Main course
For the bases
½ tsp active dry yeast
170ml (6fl oz/²/³ cup) lukewarm water
285g (9¼oz/2¼ cups) white spelt flour
½ tsp Himalayan pink salt
For the sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp capers, rinsed and drained
Pinch of dried chilli flakes
300g (10oz) tomatoes, deseeded and diced
1 tbsp fresh or dried oregano
Artichoke and Basil with Mozzarella
2 canned artichoke hearts, thinly sliced
2 basil leaves, shredded
20g (¾oz) buffalo mozzarella, torn into small pieces
Courgette and Lemon with Feta
15g (½oz) courgette (zucchini), thinly sliced
3 strips of lemon rind, finely sliced
15g (½oz) feta, crumbled
Fennel and Sweet Potato with Goat’s Cheese
10g (½oz) fennel, thinly sliced
15g (½oz) sweet potato, thinly sliced
6g (¼oz) hard goat’s cheese, grated
Roasted Garlic, Beetroot and Feta
3 garlic cloves, roasted and squeezed out of the skins
7g (¼oz) beetroot (beet), thinly sliced
10g (½oz) feta, crumbled
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6. Mix the yeast with the water, cover and set aside in a warm room for about 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the pizza sauce by heating the oil in a pan and sautéing the onion and garlic gently until the onions start to go soft, then add a splash of water to cool and add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for 15 minutes until the right consistency.
3. Whisk the yeast and water mixture and leave for another 5 minutes.
4. Place the flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture. Turn out onto a work surface and knead for 5–10 minutes until smooth and silky to the touch, adding a little more flour if necessary.
5. Divide the bread dough into pieces, roll each piece into a ball, place on a baking tray (cookie sheet) lined with baking parchment and flatten into a circle. Smear on some tomato sauce followed by your choice of toppings, then bake for 5 minutes, rotate and bake for a further 5 minutes, or until ready.