With the New Year comes the seasonally special flavour of locally landed crab. With a fusion of the delicate white meat and heady flavoursome horseradish, this refreshing dish from Matt Tomkinson –
the award-winning chef from the Michelin Starred Terrace Restaurant at the Montagu Arms Hotel in Beaulieu –
will tantalise the taste buds with cucumber, apple and a peppery kick of horseradish.
Dish type: salad
Chilled Cucumber Gazpacho
• 2 tbsp of chervil
• 2 tbsp of chives
• 2 cucumbers, seeds removed and roughly chopped
• 1 tbsp of horseradish cream
• 225ml of vegetable stock
• 2 tbsp of basil leaves
• 100g of horseradish, fresh peeled and grated
• 150g of mascarpone
• 1/4 lemon
• 1/4 cucumber, deseeded and diced
• 1/2 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
• Pinch of salt
• 50g of mayonnaise
• 1 tbsp of chopped chives
• 1 tbsp of chopped chervil
• 1 large crab, cooked and picked – white and brown meat kept separate
• 1 tbsp of chopped dill
• 25g of caster sugar
• 1 Japanese white radish
• 42ml of water
• 42ml of white vinegar
• 1 handful of baby cress
1. For the Gazpacho, take all of the ingredients except the cheese and blend in a food processor until very smooth.
2. Mix in the mascarpone and then pass through a fine sieve.
3. Season and chill until very cold.
4. To make the pickled radish, use a 2cm piece of peeled white radish (mooli or daikon) and thinly sliced from the thick end.
5. Bring the vinegar and water to the boil and add the sugar to taste.
6. Allow to cool, before pouring over the radish slices.
7. Coat well and leave for an hour or so to pickle.
8. To make the crab salad, combine all of the white crab meat with the herbs, cucumber and apple.
9. Bind with some of the mayonnaise and add a little of the brown crabmeat to boost the flavour but take care not to allow the mixture to become too sloppy.
10. Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
11. To serve, place a drained radish slice in a chilled bowl and top with some of the crabmeat mixture.
12. Place another disc on top and finish with some of the baby herbs.
13. Pour the chilled soup around and serve immediately.
For more information on The Montagu Arms Hotel or to book a table at the Terrace Restaurant, call 01590 612324 or visit www.montaguarmshotel.co.uk