Dish type: Canapes
Makes 12 Mini Burgers
340g prime minced beef, such as Kobe-style
Pinch of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
12 small slices of cheddar cheese
12 mini sesame brioche buns
250 ml remoulade
6 cherry tomatoes, sliced
3 cornichons, sliced
1. To make 250ml remoulade, combine 190ml of shop-bought or home-made Thousand Island dressing with 2 tablespoons of bottled barbecue sauce and a little bit of diced red onion. Stir to combine.
2. Preheat grill or grill pan.
3. Put the minced beef in a bowl and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Mix together with your hands to combine. Take a small amount (about 2 tablespoons worth) of the meat and roll it in the palm of your hand like you are making meatballs. Flatten the top slightly and put the mini burger patties on a side plate. Drizzle the burgers with oil and season the tops with salt and pepper. Turn the burgers over and season the other side.
4. Place the burgers on the hot grill. Cook for 3 minutes, then turn them over with tongs. Place slices of cheddar cheese on top of the burgers, allowing it to melt. While that’s cooking, put the buns on the grill. Let them toast slightly on both sides, about 2 minutes total time.
5. To put the burgers together, put the toasted buns on a platter. Top each with a small spoonful of remoulade. Put the burger on top (cheese side up), followed by a rocket leaf, a slice of tomato and a slice of cornichon.