Preparation time: 15 minutes / Cooking time: 30 minutes, plus cooling
Makes 1 loaf
Approximate cost of total ingredients (without salmon & dill): £2.28
Calories per serving (1/10th of loaf, spread with 10g butter) 254 / Fat per serving (1/10th of loaf, spread with butter) 9.3g
• A little Kerrygold butter, now softer for greasing
• 200g (7oz) plain white flour, plus extra, for sprinkling
• 300g (11oz) plain wholemeal flour
• 1 ½ tsp sea salt • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 500ml (16fl oz) buttermilk • Kerrygold butter, for spreading
To serve (optional) • Smoked salmon • Dill sprigs, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet with a little Kerrygold butter, now softer then sprinkle a little plain flour on top.
2. Mix together the plain flour, wholemeal flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl.
3. Make a well in the centre and add the buttermilk, then mix together to form a soft dough, using your hand to bring the mixture together.
4. Sprinkle a little flour onto a clean surface and knead the dough lightly for 1 minute, just to pull the mixture together. Soda bread differs from ordinary bread, so it’s important not to overwork the dough.
5. Put the round dough ball onto the prepared baking sheet, generously dust with flour and put a deep cut crossways into the top. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
6. For a soft crust wrap the hot loaf in a tea towel, otherwise cool on a wire rack.
7. Slice and spread with Kerrygold butter. Serve, topped with smoked salmon and dill.
Top tip: Why not try spreading the bread with Kerrygold Lighter block butter and save 1.9g fat/16 calories per portion. This recipe was made using Kerrygold butter, now softer