Dish type: Baking
4 apples (eating, not cooking), peeled, cored and chopped roughly
Juice from half a lemon
Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
175g Stork or dairy-free butter replacement (you can use unsalted butter if you're not avoiding dairy)
50g light brown muscovado sugar
5 tbsp golden syrup (be generous!)
300g Delicious Alchemy Gluten Free Rolled Oats
1. Pop your oven on to 180C to warm up and line a baking tin or large loaf tin with parchment (the loaf tin will give a thicker flapjack)
2. In a small saucepan, heat the apples, lemon juice and cinnamon if you're using it until they start to boil then cover the pan and leave everything to simmer slowly for around 5 minutes or until the apple is baby-food soft.
3. Mash the apple into a puree with a fork and set the pan aside to allow the mix to cool a bit.
4. Put the butter substitute, sugar and syrup into another pan and heat slowly until the butter and sugar are all melted and you get a gorgeous toffee-esque soup.
5. Take the pan of the heat and stir in the oats. Make sure that everything is mixed well and the oats are well coated.
6. Press half of the oaty mixture into your tin firmly using the back of a spoon.
7. Add the apple puree on top and spread right across the oat layer so there are no oats left visible.
8. Put the remaining half of the oat mix on top, pressing and smoothing again.
9. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes and then remove the tin. Cut into square whilst the flapjack is still warm and then keep everything in the tin while it cools.
10. Eat, enjoy and store leftover in an airtight tin. This is particularly gorgeous with some Alpro Soya 'Cream' as a dessert or with sorbet.
See more Delicious Alchemy recipes