Dish type: Baking
A gluten-free treat that tastes just as good, if not better!
Makes 1 loaf, approximately 10 slices
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
250g Whitworths fine caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 lemons, zest and juice
2 tbsp milk
170g gluten and wheat-free white self-raising flour, sieved
25g Whitworths crunchy demerara sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / Gas Mark 4. Line an 18cm/7inch loaf tin with oiled greaseproof paper.
2. Beat the 170g butter, with the Whitworths fine caster sugar and vanilla for 2-3 minutes or until it is light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs and lemon zest and continue to beat for 2-3 minutes. Add the juice of half a lemon, milk and beat to combine. Add the flour and gently mix to combine thoroughly.
4. Spoon the mixture into the tin and tap the cake tin gently a few times on the counter top to flatten out the top.
5. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Meanwhile, gently heat the remaining lemon juice and 80g of Whitworths fine caster sugar in a small pan to dissolve and allow to reduce to a syrupy consistency over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
7. Remove the cake from the oven and prick all over with a fork.
8. Carefully spoon the hot lemon syrup over the cake and finally sprinkle over the Whitworths crunchy Demerara sugar.
9. Leave the cake in the tin for 20-30 minutes to allow the syrup to settle.
10. Remove the cake from the tin onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely before serving.
Serving suggestion: Perfect with a cup of tea, or even as a dessert with some fresh raspberries and creamy mascarpone on the side!
See more Whitworths recipes