It's a little princess!
Tom tells us how to make the ultimate gourmet hot dog bun: "Don't just serve your sausagein any cheap bap; it's time to go the whole hog at your Big BBQ with a Baker Brothers Ultimate Hot Dog Roll. You can make these in advance, double the recipe if you need more fingers, and they freeze really well."
Serves 10 jumbo fingers
500g strong white flour
200ml milk (tepid)
100ml water (tepid)
25g castor sugar
25g sourdough (omit if necessary)
5g dried yeast (or 10g fresh yeast)
Egg for bun-wash
1. Weigh all the ingredients into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
2. Knead for 10 minutes until your dough is soft and elastic.
3. Leave to rise in a covered bowl for an hour in a warm place.
4. Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces and roll out 12cm fingers (or to the length of your sausages) on a floured surface.
5. Place on a baking tray covered with baking paper.
6. Brush beaten egg over each finger.
7. Leave them covered in a warm place for an hour to rise.
8. Brush with a second coat of beaten egg.
9. Meanwhile pre-heat your oven to 230C.
10. Bake your jumbo fingers until they are perfectly golden (about 10-15mins).
Henry tells us what to do at the barbie: "The ultimate Hot Dog Roll deserves a good sausage. My personal preference is a frankfurter for that authentic taste, but really any quality banger with high meat content from a local butcher will do.
"The thing with sausages is that they aren't practically suited to a BBQ, they are best cooked gently so the skins don't split and they need to be cooked thoroughly and without all the juices bubbling out. My method may seem tame, but when cooking for a large party it makes the job much quicker, and the quality is spot on."
1. First, fire up the barbie (charcoal please if you want that real taste).
2. Place a large pan of water on the heat and bring it to just below a simmer.
3. Individually place the sausages into the water and gently poach for 10mins.
4. This is just to cook the sausage through while retaining all its moisture.
5. Remove with a slotted spoon and dry off with some paper towel.
6. Put the sausages on to the BBQ whilst still quite hot. Now, all that needs to be done is crisp up the skin and get that BBQ taste. As the sausage is already cooked through this will only take a few minutes and what you will have is a delicious juicy sausage ready for the bun. All it needs is some homemade pickles, a few fried onions and your fresh hot dog roll to make it truly tasty.
Get involved and to head to the-big-bbq.co.uk to download a comprehensive information pack.
It's a little princess!