Click here for more baking recipes
Melt-in-the-mouth with a delicious cane sugary crunch, these rich, buttery shortbreads make a delicious accompaniment to a reviving cup of tea or coffee, or as a pretty addition to a creamy dessert.
50g (2oz) Tate & Lyle
Fairtrade Golden Caster Cane Sugar
10g (½oz) Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Demerara Cane Sugar
110g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened
175g (6oz) plain flour + extra for rolling
50g (2oz) semolina or ground rice
A pinch of salt
1 tbsp milk
10g (½oz) shelled unsalted pistachio nuts
You will also need 2 baking trays lined with parchment paper.
1. Cream the butter and Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Golden Caster Cane Sugar together in a bowl, then gradually add the flour, semolina or ground rice and salt, mix and then lightly bring the mixture together with your hand.
2. Turn the dough out on to a floured surface, knead lightly and roll it with your hands into a 25.5cmx4cm (10”x1½”) log. Wrap in cling film and chill for 1 hour.
3. While the dough is chilling, finely chop the pistachios
and combine them with the Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Demerara Cane Sugar on a tray.
4. Preheat the oven to 170°C/Fan 150°C, 325°F, Gas Mark 3.
5. Brush the shortbread log with the milk and roll it firmly in the cane sugared nut mixture to completely cover. Cut into 28 discs and lay these out on the baking trays, leaving a space between each. Bake on the middle and top shelves of the oven for 15-18 minutes or until very pale golden, swapping the trays over halfway through. Remove and cool on a wire rack.