This easy to make bread can be quickly decorated with cream cheese frosting or, if you prefer, just dusted with Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Icing Sugar.
Preparation 10 mins
Cooking 1-1¼ hrs
For the banana bread
100g Tate & Lyle
Light at Heart Brown
100g walnut pieces
450g peeled ripe bananas (about four medium size bananas)
400g self raising wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g butter, softened
250ml semi skimmed milk
And for the frosting…
300g light cream cheese
½ tsp (or to taste) Valencian orange extract
1 tsp Tate & Lyle Light at Heart Brown
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas 4 (if using a fan-assisted oven adjust the temperature according to instructions) and grease and line a 0.9kg loaf tin.
2. Whizz the walnuts in a processor until very finely processed. Break the bananas into chunks, add to the processor and blend again until mashed.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl, adding the bran from the wholemeal flour left in the sieve to the bowl. Don’t be tempted to skip this step as it makes sure the baking powder is evenly distributed! Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the Tate & Lyle Light at Heart Brown.
4. Add the banana and walnut purée mix and enough milk (you may not need the full 250mls) to make a soft dropping consistency. Pour the mix into the prepared tin and bake for 1 to 1¼ hours until well risen and firm to touch (check after an hour and cover with greaseproof paper if browning too much). Remove from the oven and leave to cool for about 15 minutes before removing from the tin. Then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
5. Beat all the cream cheese frosting ingredients together using a wooden spoon. Swirl the frosting on top of the loaf.
GET THE KIDS INVOLVED
: Ask your children to help mix the frosting and spread it on top of the banana bread.